Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Break is Here!!!

WOW! What a fun week we had in KD! We heard LOTS of gingerbread stories, we did several activities with gingerbread men, we went on a hunt for the gingerbread man, we played with gingerbread playdoh, AND we decorated gingerbread cookies. (Thank you to the volunteers who came in to help us decorate.) The kids did a great job identifying the characters, setting, problem, and ending of all of the stories and used their familiarity with the story to predict what would happen to the gingerbread man. (although sometimes we were surprised!) I think the students all learned a lot about the structure of stories and will recall the gingerbread man fondly forever! I hope they also enjoyed the gingerbread book they received from me during the week...maybe you read it to them while they ate their gingerbread cookie?

Winter break begins on Friday.

During the 2 weeks off you may want to......
1. review sight words
2. continue to work on writing sentences with correct spacing
3. practice using only a capital letter for the first letter of your child's name
4. work on counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's
5. practice the math skill counting on. (this is when the kids see a group of items- 3 stars and then they count on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 to get a total of 8. They shouldn't have to count ALL the items)

We will be assessing all our math and reading skills after break as report cards come out very soon afterwards!

I also want to be sure to thank everyone for their very thoughtful and generous gifts this holiday season. I truly appreciate that you think of me....I look forward to doing some shopping over break! :) I once again am reminded of how lucky I am to work with such supportive and caring parents and students. We will resume school on January 9th. I hope you all have a fabulous break and a wonderfully joyous holiday season. Be sure to take time for some fun! :) See you in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment