Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Author Study

The week started off with a great family event at May Watts-the ICE CREAM SOCIAL! I hope many of you were able to attend and enjoy the wonderful weather as well as the Watts community. I always look forward to attending this event . The week ended with Curriculum Night...I was glad that so many people attended and were able to hear all about our Kindergarten day/year. I know I covered A LOT of information, I know I talk fast, and I know I ran out of time! ( and I still keep thinking of things I wanted to share with you!!!!) Kindergarten is just so much fun and I love talking about all the exciting things we do here each and every day. If you still have questions about anything, please contact me and I will get back to you.

This week we practiced "Read to Yourself" as part of our Daily 5 preperation. We worked on building our stamina as we read our books in our book bins. The kids did a great job and next week we will begin training on the "Work on Writing" part. Students will get a journal and will respond to stories they heard during the day, or write about things that interest them. You might want to have a conversation with them this weekend about topics they would be able to write about at school. We continued our jolly phonics program and learned the sounds and motions for h,r,m,d, and g. Hopefully your child read their take home sound book to you several times this week. We also learned a lot about shapes and signs through books and hands on activities.

Next week we will do our first author study. All week we will be reading and comparing books by the great author Eric Carle. Many of the students will be familiar with his books which gives us the opportunity to really explore and discuss his style of writing. We will do an Eric Carle art project too. I know the kids will LOVE it! For our citizenship lesson we will learn about the Talk It Out strategy and practice what this would look like and sound like at May Watts School. In math we will continue working with shapes and numbers as we go on a number hunt around the school and continue to look for shapes in nature.

As always, it will be a busy week at school! Have a great weekend!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment